Monday, June 7, 2010

Sunday Funday

Sunday Morning I attended the Presbyterian Church close to our house. It was a very nice church but was a bit boring for my liking. I am going to continue to search for a middle ground between the Full Gospel church and this one.

Later in the afternoon Mark, Geoff and I went to one of our neighbors (a family that Mark lived with his first summer here) for the 1 year anniversary of the father's funeral. At you first you might be thinking that this event would be a quiet event to honor the late father. However, this was a full blown party. There were around 100 people there, tons of food, drinks, music and dancing. It was a blast. We stayed until dark with the two sisters and her friends dancing and having a good time. On a side note, the mother of the house wore the same outfit that she wore to the funeral everyday for the whole year as a sign of her mourning. This and the fact that they had such a large celebration a year later was very cool and proof of how much they celebrate life here.

This morning we worked on turning all of the surveying data we obtained in the village into a designed water system. It has been a lot of fun applying all of the things I have learned in the classroom.

Today we went to the barber. It was an awesome experience. The guys name is 'Spirit' and he preached at us for like 10 minutes and htne prayed with us before the hair cut. Next time we go I will bring my camera. Also, I told him to do whatever he wanted so of course he took everything real close except my mustache. So yes, right now I am rocking a mustache. Another side note, this was my first time ever sitting in a barber's chair getting my hair cut by someone else. Funny that it was in Africa.

We have plans to return to the bush on Wednesday, Friday, and potentially another village on Saturday to complete land surveys of each.

No comments:

Post a Comment